Pivotal HD Single-Node Virtual Machine
- 8 GB RAM (The VM consumes 4 GB)
- At least 30 GB free disk space
- At least a dual-core CPU
- NAT networking configured in the VM
- 7z Archive utility
Pivotal HD VM contents
Pivotal HD VM is shipped with the following Pivotal products:
- Pivotal HD 2.0 - Hadoop 2.2 GA, Zookeeper, HBase, Hive, Pig, Mahout, Madlib
- Pivotal HAWQ 1.2
- Pivotal Extension Framework (PXF) 2.2
- Pivotal GemFire XD 1.0 GA
- Pivotal Command Center 2.2
Other installed packages:
- JDK 7
- Spring Tool Suite (Eclipse-based IDE)
- Retail Demo data for tutorials
- Sample Code
The Pivotal HD Single-Node VM uses the following credentials:
|VM Root user||
|DataLoader Web UI||
|Command Center Login||
user has partial sudo privileges
sudo is configured so that the
gpadmin (default user for this VM) account can run commands via
sudo without providing a password to access any of the other system accounts (mapred, hdfs, hadoop, etc.).
You can use the following scripts to manage your Pivotal HD Single-Node VM:
start_all.sh– Starts all Hadoop services.
stop_all.sh– Stops all Hadoop services
start_gfxd.sh– Starts GemFire XD (Note that this script also stops some Hadoop services that are not needed for the GemFire Tutorials)
stop_gfxd.sh– Stops GemFire XD.
Installing the Pivotal HD Single-Node VM
Note: This tutorial is directed towards users of the Pivotal HD Single Node VM version 2.0 and who received an early-access version of the VM. The instructions in this document will not work correctly with other versions. Version 2.0 of the VM will be available for download when PHD 2.0 is released.
Enter the following command to extract the files using 7z:
7za x ~/VMWare/PIVHDSNE_VMWARE_VM-2.0.0-40-2.7zs
If you do not have a tool that can expand a
7zarchive, you can download the 7z utility from:
- Start the VM by double-clicking the
.vmxfile within the newly-created
- After the VM starts, log in to the
gpadminuser account using the password
password(Note: this is also the
- In the VM, launch the Firefox Web browser to see the Command Center Web UI at
- Login to the Command Center with
gpadminas the username and
Gpadmin1as the password.
Start Pivotal HD and HAWQ using the
Note: You can stop Pivotal HD and HAWQ using the
How to use this VM:
- Start the Hadoop services using the
start_all.shscript located on the desktop.
- Follow the tutorials in the Setting up the Pivotal HD Tutorial section of this site.